the 1920s the Camborne School of Mines (CSM) took over some shallow workings
on Landower Lode to replace the underground workings at its King Edward
mine that had been lost to flooding when an adjacent deeper Wheal Grenville
mine closed in 1920.
shaft and another small shaft were opened down to about 100 ft from surface,
and a level was established in the old workings at this horizon. Compared
with the old King Edward the mine it was tiny. However mining education
was gradually changing and there was no longer the same need for a full
In recent years, with the changes in mining education towards more technical subjects, the need for practical instruction gradually fell away. When the CSM re-located to Penryn, as part of the Combined Universities in Cornwall, it was realised that Condurrow would have to go, both for geographical and economic reasons.
Since 2008, when the Society purchased the site, members have worked tirelessly to maintain it.
Underground scene at the CBMS Condurrow Mine